Monday, June 27, 2016

The Kirsten Kimono Tee by Maria Denmark,, free pattern




In order to fix the Mandy boat tee I went searching for another simple tee pattern.  This was the muslin for The Kirsten Kimono tee, available Here.  I downloaded this pattern when it first came out a few years ago, it looks like she's made it more user friendly.  This pattern has a lot of good reviews, so I grabbed some scrap jersey and got to piecing.





I didn't have enough to cut the back out of one piece as the pattern calls for, so I made it work.

The machine did not like this fabric, which is a buttery rayon jersey, and it kept on getting caught in the plate, so it is catch stitched by hand on the neck, sleeve and hem.  I hand stitched a tank top the same way, fearful it would not make it through the washing machine and it has held up perfectly after 4 years.  I also like how it looks but it is by no means a fast solution.



I think this will be the pattern that will save the Mandy Boat Tee, and it will be a go to pattern for another scrap of jersey lying on the table.....first pattern ever, I haven't had to make adjustments to.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Much better fit!
When I come across knits that don't want to behave at the machine, I put a layer of tear-away stabilizer (the stuff used for machine embroidery)on top - sometimes 2 layers, making a sandwich, stitch, then very carefully tear it off. Works like a charm. Keeps the fabric stable under the presser foot.

ELMO said...

Groan if only I could get to the box with my embroidery supplies. I will definitely try that next time, I thought it might be the needle as well.